The Science of Time Travel
The Secrets Behind Time Machines, Time Loops, Alternate Realities, and More!
- 224 Pages
- June 2, 2020
- ISBN: 9781510749641
- Series: The Science of
- Imprint: Skyhorse Publishing
- Trim Size: 6in x 9in x 0in
Travel back in time with Doctor Who, the Terminator, the X-Men, and all your favorite time travelers!
Science fiction is the perfect window into the possibilities and perils of time travel. What would happen if you went back in time and killed your own grandparent? If you knew how to stop a presidential assassination, would time travel allow you to make your wish come true? Can we use time travel as a tool to escape the destiny of our future or mistakes of the past?
The Science of Time Travel explores time travel through your favorite science-fiction franchises, from the classic time travel paradoxes of Star Trek to the universe-crossing shenanigans of Doctor Who. Discover the real science behind questions such as:
- Can time travel really erase our past regrets like in A Christmas Carol?
- Is it worth killing people in the past to prevent a horrible future like in Terminator?
- What can we learn from living the same day over and over again like in Groundhog Day?
- Could time travel destroy our right to privacy like in Deja Vu?
- And so much more!
Elizabeth Howell, PhD, is a space and science journalist based in Ottawa, Canada. She covered astronaut launches on two continents, pretended to be a Mars astronaut for two weeks, and recently finished a PhD in Aerospace Sciences. Her love of space began in 1996 after she watched the movie Apollo 13 for the first time, but it was Star Trek that got her thinking about the future of space travel and time travel. Read more about her work at elizabethhowell.ca.