Pickling, Fermenting & Salad-Making
Vegetables with More Taste & Less Waste
Alex Elliott-Howery, Sabine Spindler
- 224 Pages
- June 1, 2021
- ISBN: 9781510763647
- Trim Size: 8in x 10in x 0in
85 Recipes for Enjoying Seasonal Veg!
"The latest from Elliott-Howery and Spindler (Cornersmith: Recipes from the Café and Picklery) showcases the popular Australian restaurant’s approach to fresh, seasonal ingredients with little waste."
Cornersmith reinvents everyday sides with pickled veggies which can be stored for up to six months. Here, Alex and Sabine share their passion for cooking with minimal waste. In four chapters, one dedicated to each season, Cornersmith shows us the best way to use seasonal produce, before rounding off with three salad dressing, fermenting, and pickling guides and innovative ways to use kitchen scraps, such as using fruit peel to flavor oils. These recipes aren’t about dieting, instead it is a must have for anyone interested in the food waste management trend, providing a road map for the future of food. Recipes include:
- Broad Bean & Pea Salad with Freekeh & Yogurt Sauce
- Kohlrabi, Radish & Tofu with Miso Dressing
- Pickled Asparagus with Garlic & Lemon
- Asparagus & Watercress with Walnut & Orange Vinaigrette
- Pink Pickled Eggs
- Fried Green Tomatoes with Herbed Kefir
- Rhubarb & Red Onion Relish
- Grilled Pineapple, Sea Salt, Chilli, Mint & Chimichurri
- Oven-Dried Preserved Tomatoes
- Fig & Herb Salad with Pearl Couscous, Toasted Hazelnuts & Za’atar
- Pickled Watermelon Rind
- Summer Leaves, Pickled Stone Fruit, Ricotta & Salted Almonds
Alex Elliott-Howery is the cofounder of what has become a thriving and boundary-breaking food community in inner Sydney, Australia. She runs the Cornersmith cafes, renowned for their big heart and strong conscience when it comes to sustainably sourced food. Alex teaches pickling and preserving workshops at the Cornersmith cooking school, the Picklery. She and her team of picklers, fermenters, cheesemakers, bread bakers, and others, have taught many hundreds of classes over the years.
Sabine Spindler, known as the "waste warrior," is head chef and chief salad creator at the Cornersmith cafes. Her experience working in fine dining restaurants in Europe left her shocked by the amount of good food that goes to waste on a daily basis in the hospitality industry.
"The latest from Elliott-Howery and Spindler showcases the popular Australian restaurant’s approach to fresh, seasonal ingredients with little waste."