The Ultimate Book of Surprising, Strange, and Incredibly Bizarre Facts about Food and Drink
- 192 Pages
- August 24, 2021
- ISBN: 9781510763746
- Series: Weird-o-Pedia
- Imprint: Skyhorse Publishing
- Trim Size: 5.5in x 7.75in x 0in
Hundreds of weird and wonderful facts in this massive encyclopedia of food and drink oddities! A perfect gift for foodies and trivia fans alike!
Food Weird-o-Pedia offers up hundreds of off-kilter bits of info about food that will make you rethink what you know about even those dishes you’ve been eating your whole life. Organized in sections such as “Between-Meal Tidbits: Curious Facts about Snacks” and “Spice Up Your Life: Unexpected morsels about condiments, sauces and spices,” each chapter offers an alphabetical encyclopedia of strange facts that will give you plenty to chew over whether reading from cover-to-cover or just flipping to a random page during a lunch break.
Learn weird and obscure facts about fruits, vegetables, baked goods, meat, dairy, seafood, junk food, condiments, sauces, spices, beverages, desserts, and more, such as:
- Cherries may have killed the twelfth president of the United States.
- Why we call that vulgar sound we make by putting our tongue between our lips and blowing out a “raspberry."
- Enzymes on the inside of a banana peel actually encourage splinters to move toward the skin’s surface.
- Dark soy sauce contains ten times the antioxidants of red wine and contributed to a decrease in risk of cardiovascular disease.
- The most egg yolks ever found in a single egg is nine.
- Frank Sinatra was buried with a bottle of Jack Daniel’s whiskey.
- Hershey’s Kisses get their names from the smooching sound and motion the machine made when it popped the candy onto the conveyor belt.
- And many, many more!
Every one of us has a deeply personal relationship to the food we eat, each as unique as we are. But there is also a lot that can surprise us about what we put in our body—unexpected facts about staple fruits and veggies, strange backstories to our favorite sweets, and ways of whipping up a familiar dish that are downright weird. These odd aspects of the food we eat are what this book is all about. Food Weird-o-Pedia is sure to provide plenty of fodder to impress friends and family over your next meal—whatever it is you’re eating.